Friday, March 17, 2006

 

Mentoring

I met with Dr. Bundy yesterday to discuss the objectives for the rest of the semester. He stated that he has PhotoShop and Illustrator and he would like to use either to draw 10 different insects for publication. He showed me some illustrations of other insects that he wanted to be able simulate. They were fairly simple and I think with 6 hours of instruction, a little homework, and practice he should be able create the drawings.

The initial goal is to get one drawing done within the semester and then he should have the skills to complete the other 9 on his own.

I have already assigned him some homework. I suggested a book on Illustrator (he actually asked for the book) and I asked him to read the first three chapters by our next meeting. The first 3 are some basic interface and tools info. It is best if he is familiar with these before we begin. We will meet after Spring Break.

I also wanted to assess his current skill level. He has played with illustrator but he is still a novice. However, he seems to pick it up fast and is very enthusiastic about learning. I think he will pick it up no problem.

Comments:
This sounds great... I'm glad the relationship is a good one, and that you think the time will be adequate. I'm really pleased that something so finite and measurable will be the result of your work.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?