Tuesday, January 31, 2006

 

Blogging, RSS, and the portfolio tool

I have been using blogging tools for the past few months already. I have found them to be extremely helpful. For instance, I created a blog to document the weekly progress of the class I teach. I reflected on the lectures and projects I gave, the students reactions to these, and my thoughts on what I was doing and how I could do it better. It worked out really well. I was able to go back to my blog at the end of the semester and use all those reflections, that I would not normally remembered, and revise my course accordingly.

One blog I really like:
Cold, Hard Flash

Cold, Hard Flash, a collection of thoughts on the recent swell of Flash-animated TV production. Over the past half-dozen years, Flash has expanded beyond the web and into broadcast TV and even feature film. Only 3 years ago, there were no more than 5 or 6 Flash-animated shows airing on TV. Today, that number is closer to 30.

I love this blog! The editors cover a really broad range of flash/illustration/animation topics. It has already benefitted my work by reviewing software and providing information on new techniques for Flash animation. I go nearly every day.

Not sure how the RSS will impact my work. I have not been using it but I will give it a try. I think it will be a more efficient way of sorting news and information.

Comments:
Especially because tracking RSS on the mac in Safari is so easy, I've found it to be a really easy way to stay on top of more than one blog, such as "Cold Hard Flash" and the blog for this class. Make a folder just for RSS feeds in your Safari bookmark bar, and then bookmark the RSS feeds of the blogs and put them in that folder. When there are new posts, a number appears right there with that bookmark, and you can aggregate all the posts into one window by clicking that folder and selecting "View all RSS articles".
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?